TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - North Mississippi Medical Center is shutting down its COVID-19 unit, spokesperson Deborah Pugh confirmed Friday afternoon.
The hospital opened the unit in March 2020 when the pandemic first hit.
Currently, it’s seeing few COVID patients and many are in the process of being discharged.
So, instead of having a designated COVID unit, patients will be in a part of the hospital where they can get more specialized care for their COVID-related illnesses.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jeremy Blanchard said that the highest number of COVID patients they had at any time in the unit since then is 118.
"We have negative pressure rooms in all of those units so we're not increasing risks to anybody or exposure to anybody. We're able to provide the same safe care for COVID. What we really want to do is provide the best care for other diseases as well."
Visitation rules for COVID patients will remain the same.
"This allows us to be safest for the patient and provide the best care, safest for the staff and assure they are in an environment that is supportive."
He said they will reopen the COVID unit if there is another variant come through causing a surge.