JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - The Mississippi Highway Patrol is applauding a trooper whose quick action helped save a woman’s life.
Trooper Robert Taylor Shows responded to a crash on Interstate 55 in Pike County on Monday, March 4, at approximately 9:30 p.m.
When he arrived at the scene, he saw a half-submerged vehicle in water with the driver still inside.
Shows was able to rescue the woman by knocking out the vehicle’s rear glass and freeing her trapped foot.
The woman was taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson for her injuries and remains in stable condition, said MHP spokesman Capt. Johnny Poulos.
“Because of Trooper Shows selfless actions, a life was saved, and a family was spared the grim news that their loved one wouldn't be returning home that night,” said MHP director Col. Chris Gillard.
Poulos said Shows has been a trooper since March 6, 2018.
Pike County is located along the Louisiana border between Natchez and Hattiesburg.
- MHP applauds trooper for rescue in Pike County
- Monument honors former all-black high school in Pike County
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- Investigation begins into allegations of MHP cadet mistreatment
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- UPDATE: Man accused of stealing MHP car captured during weekend
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- MHP to begin Memorial Day enforcement period on Friday
- MHP begins Operation STOP, promoting safety at school bus zones