DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) - Two Alabama women are accused of removing their mother from an ambulance that authorities say was taking her in for medical treatment.
A statement by Dothan police says 39-year-old Annie Lucy Newby and 40-year-old Ida Lorene Newby are charged with elder abuse and second-degree neglect.
WTVY-TV reports that an elderly woman called for transportation to a doctor's office to be treated for an infection. Police say officers were called Thursday to a home where ambulance workers told police the sisters pulled the woman off the ambulance to prevent her from getting treatment.
Police say the mother had missed other appointments for treatment.
- Women charged with removing ill mother from ambulance
- 4 hurt in ambulance wreck in Alabama
- Mother charged in 4-year-old daughter's death
- Baby suffers brain swelling; mother's boyfriend charged
- Charges dismissed against mother after Leland tragedy
- Mother charged with murder of baby
- Mississippi law will let ambulances transport police dogs
- Senate budget writer leaves Mississippi Capitol in ambulance
- Mother faces charge after dead baby found in car's trunk
- Charge against mother in infant's death upgraded to murder