Authorities in Mississippi are investigating whether an unidentified body is that of a missing 60-year-old woman.
News outlets report someone located a female body Saturday near the Homochitto National Forest. Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing says it appears the body had been there for several days.
A son of Dianne Richardson McMorris called the sheriff's office Sunday after hearing about the body. He told authorities that family members hadn't seen McMorris since Aug. 19.
Rushing says investigators are exploring all avenues to determine whether the cases are connected. He says a Silver Alert wasn't issued when McMorris was reported missing because she doesn't have a medical condition that would impair her judgment.
The Mississippi State Crime Lab will conduct an autopsy. Results are expected by next week.
- Woman's body found near national forest in Mississippi
- Body found in Pearl River in Mississippi
- Authorities identify body found in Mississippi creek
- Missing Mississippi man's body found in lake
- Man's body found in Mississippi lake
- Coroner: Human remains found in DeSoto National Forest
- Alabama woman's body found weeks after disappearance
- Woman's body found at north Alabama landfill
- Mississippi's state forester resigns after DUI arrest
- Commission names new Mississippi state forester