JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Troopers investigated two traffic deaths during the July 4th holiday period.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol's holiday enforcement period was from Tuesday, July 3 to the end of July 4.
The two deaths were the result of one crash in Marion County.
During the same period in 2017, troopers investigated three deaths.
This year, troopers issued 4,594 citations and made 41 DUI arrests. They also investigated 61 crashes, which also included 17 injuries.
"MHP recorded a dramatic increase in citations issued along with a significant decrease in traffic crashes investigated," stated Captain Johnny Poulos with MHP.
During the same period in 2017, troopers issued 2,217 citations and investigated 102 traffic crashes.
"We attribute the increase in citations and the decrease in crashes to the addition of new troopers along with responsible decisions by motorists," Poulos stated.
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- MHP reported three deaths during New Year's enforcement period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- Alabama troopers investigate 23 traffic deaths during holiday period
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- State troopers prepare for July 4 holiday enforcement period
- MHP says goodbye to Ford Crown Victoria