JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - State troopers are preparing for their annual Christmas travel enforcement period to keep motorists safe.
This year’s travel enforcement period begins at midnight on Friday, Dec. 21.
It will conclude at the end of Christmas Day.
Capt. John Poulos with the Mississippi Highway Patrol says all available troopers will be used on all state, federal and interstate systems to combat reckless driving, along with speeding and distracted driving issues.
Troopers will use safety checkpoints during this time to enforce child restraint and seatbelt laws while also removing impaired drivers.
During this same period last year, troopers investigated 157 crashes with no fatalities.
- Troopers begin Christmas travel enforcement period
- State troopers prepare for July 4 holiday enforcement period
- Alabama troopers investigated 22 deaths during Christmas, New Year's holiday travel period
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- Alabama troopers investigate 23 traffic deaths during holiday period
- Alabama troopers report 11 deaths during Thanksgiving holiday period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP reported three deaths during New Year's enforcement period
- Troopers begin crackdown on speeding motorists
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period