ALICE, Texas (AP) - Police in South Texas say they've arrested a man in the fatal 1974 shooting of a police officer following a traffic stop.
Police in Alice, about 45 miles west of Corpus Christi, announced Monday that a man currently serving a life sentence in Alabama is charged in the death of officer Matthew Murphy.
Authorities say Murphy was a narcotics officer who had returned to patrol duty at the time of the traffic stop. He was shot multiple times and died later at a hospital.
Investigators say the suspect, identified by the Alabama Department of Corrections as 70-year-old Robert Lopez, at one point bragged to a fellow inmate that he had shot a "narc" named Murphy.
Lopez is serving a life term after being sentenced in 1981 on a robbery conviction.
- Texas police arrest Alabama inmate in 1974 death of officer
- Alabama inmate stabbed to death
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama set to execute inmate in '85 police officer killing
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Alabama police officer arrested for domestic violence
- Alabama AG seeks execution date in police officer death
- Alabama death row inmate found dead inside cell
- Inmate who killed an Alabama officer seeks stay of execution
- Man arrested in Alabama apartment shooting death