MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi teen is scheduled in court this week to face capital murder charges as an adult.
News outlets say 16-year-old Dezjuan Moffite was arrested in Meridian. Police Sgt. Dareall Thompson says Moffite and 22-year-old Randerious Martin were trying to rob an apartment Thursday at gunpoint. Thompson says one of the apartment residents grabbed a gun during a struggle and shot Martin three times in the chest. He died from his wounds.
Under Mississippi law, people can be charged with murder for deaths during crimes even if they didn't pull the trigger.
Moffite was held without bail following a Friday hearing. He didn't have an attorney then.
Municipal Court Judge Robbie Jones says Moffite was charged as an adult because he allegedly used a gun during the attempted robbery.
- Teen charged with murder as alleged robbery accomplice dies
- Police drop capital murder charge against Mississippi teen
- 3 charged with Pontotoc County armed robbery
- Police: Mississippi man shot in stomach during robbery dies
- Police: No charges as teen runs into road, is hit and dies
- Teen arrested after alleged threat to Alabama school
- Teen charged in shooting death of Tennessee teen in Alabama
- Former North Alabama player charged in murder
- Men returned to state on murder charges
- Alabama teen dies after trying to start fire