JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) — The Mississippi Department of Corrections reported another inmate death this week, becoming the 13th state inmate to die since late December.
The warden at the Kemper-Neshoba Regional Correctional Facility said Limarion Reaves, 28, collapsed before 1 p.m. Tuesday.
He added that medical staff tried CPR on Reaves and even tried to shock his heart in hopes of restoring a normal heartbeat before an ambulance took him away.
The state will perform an autopsy on the inmate, who was serving a three-year prison sentence on an aggravated assault conviction in Leflore County.
Most of the state inmate deaths since December 29 have not been in regional jails but in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
- State reported 13th inmate death since late last month
- Alabama inmate stabbed to death
- 2nd inmate death reported at Mississippi county jail
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama Corrections Department investigates inmate death
- Alabama inmate deaths rise despite national attention
- Ex-death row inmate in Mississippi resentenced in baby death
- Mississippi regulators approve site for 13th casino
- Texas police arrest Alabama inmate in 1974 death of officer