JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) — A man serving time on a manslaughter conviction from Lowndes County became the 19th state inmate to die in custody since December 29.
Rankin County Coroner David Ruth told WLBT-TV that someone found the body of Omar Beard, 36, in his cell overnight at the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility.
Someone pronounced him dead early Wednesday at a hospital. The state will do an autopsy to determine how he died.
Beard, of Columbus, pleaded guilty last year for his part in the robbery and killing of a disabled man in 2011.
- State inmate convicted in Lowndes County of manslaughter found dead
- Inmate convicted of killing grandmother found dead in cell
- Inmate found dead at Parchman
- State inmate convicted in Pontotoc County homicide died at hospital
- Inmate found dead in South Mississippi jail
- Parchman inmate found dead Wednesday morning
- Inmate found dead at south Mississippi prison
- Ex-nurse granted bond as she appeals manslaughter conviction
- Alabama man who withdrew plea convicted of manslaughter
- Private company identifies dead Marshall County inmate