HOLLY SPRINGS, Miss. (AP/WTVA) — A sheriff in Mississippi says a Marshall County prison guard has been severely injured by an inmate.
Sheriff Kenny Dickerson tells WREG-TV that the guard was attacked Wednesday night and airlifted to a hospital. News outlets report the sheriff's office says the guard suffered severe head trauma. Dickerson says the guard was in stable condition as of late Wednesday night.
WMC-TV in Memphis later reported the guard was released from the hospital.
The sheriff's office says that inmate and several others started a fire inside the prison and were burning items just before the guard was hurt. WMC-TV reports the fire has been contained and the prison has since been placed on lockdown.
Authorities didn't immediately release the identities of those involved.
- Sheriff: Marshall County prison guard severely injured by inmate
- Ex-prison guard pleads in handcuffed inmates' assaults
- Private company identifies dead Marshall County inmate
- Alabama prison guard in custody
- Inmate slain at Staton prison; fellow inmate charged
- 2 inmates escape from Alabama prison
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Inmate, 57, dies in Mississippi prison
- Inmate dies after fight in Mississippi prison
- Inmate found dead at south Mississippi prison