NATCHEZ , Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi sheriff's deputy shot and killed a carjacking suspect.
The Natchez Democrat reports that the shooting happened Thursday.
Jefferson County Sheriff Peter Walker said Cameron L. Bennett was shot and killed by one of his deputies Thursday when Bennett tried to run the deputy down using her squad car.
The sheriff said deputies were pursing Bennett who had crashed two stolen cars. He said Bennett then got in the deputy's vehicle and headed in her direction.
He said the deputy was "forced to protect herself."
Walker said the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations has taken over the case. MBI is responsible for the investigation of officer-involved shootings in the state.
- Sheriff: Deputy kills carjacking suspect
- Man arrested in Mississippi carjacking, Alabama killing
- Sheriff: Man armed with AK-47 shot after Alabama carjacking
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by car stuns, shoots Alabama suspect
- Police chief: Mississippi man shot dead before carjacking
- Authorities ID Alabama man carjacked, run over by officer
- Man killed in standoff with Alabama deputies
- Deputy kills man near casino; state investigating
- Sheriff: Shots fired at deputy during car chase
- Alabama sheriff's deputy shot during domestic violence call