FORT PAYNE, Ala. (AP) — The sheriff of DeKalb County, Alabama, says a missing 11-year-old girl has been found dead.
Sheriff Nick Welden tells news outlets that Amberly Alexis Barnett was found dead early Saturday after an overnight search that took authorities to Cherokee County and the state of Georgia. He did not disclose where Amberly's body was found or her cause of death, citing the ongoing investigation.
The sheriff's office says Amberly was last seen Friday evening at her aunt's home in Mt. Vernon. Barnett's mother, Jonie Barnett, has said that a green SUV was seen at the aunt's home before Amberly disappeared. She also said Amberly's cellphone had been left behind, noting that her daughter took it everywhere.
- Sheriff: Alabama girl reported missing has been found dead
- Man reported missing in Alabama found dead
- Sheriff: Girls attacked mom found dead near Mississippi home
- Missing woman found dead in rural Alabama county
- Missing Alabama woman found dead near railroad tracks
- 2 detained in case of missing Alabama man found dead
- Sheriff: Missing Bolivar County teen found
- 15-year-old missing Jackson girl found safe
- Report: South Mississippi shooting suspect found dead
- Sheriff: Father, child found dead in Delta tragedy