MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities say a man set his girlfriend on fire in Mississippi, kidnapped the child she had been watching, traveled to Tennessee then led officers on a chase back into Mississippi.
News outlets report a woman showed up at an Olive Branch, Mississippi, hospital with second-and third-degree burns early Tuesday morning.
Around the same time, Memphis police say the suspect drove up to an officer and said he would kill the child in his car if he couldn't use a phone. The man drove off as the officer approached, causing a chase.
Two officers were injured when the suspect rammed a patrol car during the chase. He abandoned his vehicle in Olive Branch and was arrested after a foot chase. He's been hospitalized for injuries.
The child wasn't seriously injured.
- Police: Suspect set woman on fire, took child, started chase
- Police chase of robbery suspect ends in utility pole crash
- Bank robbery suspect wounded by police after car chase
- Police: Man suspected of robbery in custody after car chase
- Woman is set on fire, live-in boyfriend sought
- 3 officers hurt in Alabama police chase
- Suspect in UAH police chase, shooting jailed on murder attempt, more charges
- Police: Brother of woman stabbed to death knocks out suspect
- Alabama chase ends with suspect jumping off bridge
- Police: Chase ends in crash through Mississippi law office