DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama say a patient of a hospital's behavior unit has been caught raping another patient.
The Dothan Eagle reports 30-year-old Derrick Gilbert was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree rape. Dothan Police Lt. Lynn Watkins says Gilbert went into another Southeast Health patient's room and "engaged in a sexual act that was not consensual."
Watkins says a hospital employee walked in as the assault was happening. It's unclear if the victim reported the assault to police or was underwent a sexual assault exam. The hospital policies surrounding assault and patient separation also are unclear.
Gilbert is represented by a court-appointed attorney who has requested a preliminary hearing.
- Police: Hospital behavioral patient caught raping patient
- Ex-hospital worker admits to photographing young patients
- Children keep Birmingham dementia patients lively
- Doctor accused of sex assaulting patients wants case sealed
- Ex-health care worker admits he took photos of girl patients
- Lawmakers assign $11 million for behavioral health services
- Family visits reward prisoners for record of good behavior
- Alabama woman facing rape charge
- Police: Man arrested in 1989 rape of girl in Alabama
- Man caught after fleeing police standoff, shooting at drone