BILOXI, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a homeless man in Mississippi attacked another homeless man with a weapon the victim told police was a machete.
News outlets report 55-year-old Bernard Matheny was arrested Wednesday and charged with aggravated assault. The injured man was taken to a hospital. The extent of his injuries is unclear. Biloxi Police Maj. Christopher De Back tells news outlets that the two men know each other.
De Back says the attack happened Monday night in a mall parking lot. The unidentified victim told police he was attacked with a machete, but police say they haven't found the weapon. De Back says, "One of them flew off the handle, and that's all we know for now." The investigation is ongoing.
It's unclear whether Matheny has a lawyer.
- Police: Homeless Mississippi man attacks man with knife
- Police: Officer shoots Mississippi man who pulled knife
- 2 Mississippi men arrested in connection with attack on man
- Mississippi man drowns while fishing
- Alabama police charge homeless man in 2 arson fires
- Police: Homeless man locked mother in back of moving truck
- Police: Mississippi man shot in stomach during robbery dies
- Police chief: Mississippi man shot dead before carjacking
- Police: Man's body found in ditch off Mississippi road
- Police: Man shot and killed at apartments in Mississippi