BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama say they've found the body of a 3-year-old girl who has been missing more than a week, and they're charging two people with murder.
Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith told a news conference Tuesday night that the remains of Kamille McKinney were located in a trash bin taken to a landfill. He says police had been watching garbage deposits.
Smith says police are obtaining murder warrants against two people previously identified as persons of interest in the case, 39-year-old Patrick Devone Stallworth and his 29-year-old girlfriend, Derick Irisha Brown.
Lawyers for both have said they're innocent.
The child vanished while outside a birthday party on Oct. 12. Relatives called her "Cupcake."
Smith says investigators know of no link between the suspects and the girl or her family.
- Police: Body of missing Alabama toddler found
- Body found under Alabama bridge
- Body of missing woman found
- Bodies found in Alabama linked to missing rapper, promoter
- Missing Alabama woman's body found at bottom of a well
- Alabama woman's body found weeks after disappearance
- Woman's body found at north Alabama landfill
- Missing Mississippi man's body found in lake
- Police find 3 bodies at Alabama home
- Man reported missing in Alabama found dead