GREENWOOD, Miss. (WTVA) – Firefighters in the Mississippi Delta are still on the scene of a fire at a peanut storage facility.
Greenwood Fire Chief Marcus Banks says the blaze broke out around 7 a.m. on Friday.
The facility is located in the industrial park off Highway 82 in Leflore County.
Banks says a chemical reaction led to more than 25,000 bushels of peanuts to catch fire.
They are currently using foam to control the fire which has been contained to one area.
But the fire chief says the fire will not be completely out until this weekend.
- Peanut storage facility catches fire in Delta
- Organizer: 2017 Peanut Festival may have seen record crowds
- 2 arrested in June death of Mississippi 'Peanut Man'
- Charges dismissed in June death of Mississippi 'Peanut Man'
- California utility to sell Mississippi, Alabama gas storage
- Inmates captured after escaping correctional facility
- Multiple escapes reported from Alabama prison facility
- County in rural Mississippi Delta aims to boost recycling
- Tiny town in Mississippi Delta is almost broke, mayor says
- Mississippi to reopen Delta prison to hold release violators