LAUREL, Miss. (AP) — Officials say a man and a 1-year-old died in a blaze caused by improper use of electrical cords.
Jones County Deputy Coroner Burl Hall tells news outlets that 27-year-old Isaiah Pierce and Mahogany Brownlow died in the Wednesday night blaze in Laurel.
Officials say there were several people inside of the residence when the fire started just around 10 p.m. Pierce and others were able to make it out, but officials say he ran back inside to save the child. Laurel Fire Chief Mark Nichols says Pierce and the little girl did not make it back out of the burning home.
Hall says autopsy results from Pierce and Brownlow will be released at a later time.
- Officials: Man, 1-year-old died in Mississippi house fire
- Mississippi couple dies in house fire
- Mississippi woman accused of burning, whipping 1-year-old
- Mississippi man dies after house trailer falls on him
- Mississippi house fire where man found dead ruled an arson
- 2 Mississippi children die in house fire
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Police: 1-year-old fatally shot at home in possible accident
- Woman dies in fire in southern Mississippi camper
- Mississippi firefighter dies in crash on way to weekend fire