JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Federal and state law enforcement officers say they have arrested 31 documented gang members in and around Mississippi's capital city.
U.S. Attorney Mike Hurst and U.S. Marshal George White announced the arrests Monday. That culminated work by several police departments and other agencies in the metro Jackson area during the previous week.
They say those arrested were in gangs such as the Gangster Disciples, Vice Lords, Simon City Royals, Latin Kings and Aryan Brotherhood.
Names of those arrested were not immediately released.
Officers say some guns were seized, and some people were found with illegal drugs, including marijuana and crystal methamphetamine.
- Officers say 31 gang members arrested in Mississippi
- Mississippi lawmakers mull more prison time for gang members
- Opponents: Gang members could face charges for no real crime
- Mississippi could set penalties for luring people into gangs
- Monitor warned about gang influence at Mississippi prison
- Mississippi sending election reminders to military members
- Correctional officer arrested on drug charges in Mississippi
- Mississippi man arrested in shooting of off-duty NC officer
- Mississippi officer arrested when found in car with drugs
- 2 more men arrested after Mississippi police officer slain