Update - Jones was captured sometime near 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30.
RAYMOND, Miss. (AP) — A murder suspect has escaped from jail in Mississippi's most populous county.
Hinds County Sheriff Victor Mason tells news outlets that Roddrick Raheem Jones was discovered missing during or just after breakfast on Wednesday morning.
Mason says a headcount found the 23-year-old Jones was gone.
Jones was arrested in September and charged with murdering 30-year-old Kendrick Hughes. He was also charged with two counts of aggravated assault for shooting two other people, as well as being a felon illegally possessing a weapon.
Mason says Jones was housed in an older part of the jail. He says Jones will face further charges if recaptured.
The U.S. Marshals Service and other agencies are helping search.
Mason says officials are trying to determine how Jones escaped. The jail has suffered repeated escapes.
- UPDATE: Inmate captured after escaping from detention center
- 2 inmates escape Mississippi jail; 1 captured
- Escaped Tennessee inmate captured after 5-day manhunt
- Inmates captured after escaping correctional facility
- Alabama inmate escapes from work release center
- Inmate escapes from Parchman
- Mississippi inmate captured 2 days after his escape
- Last of 3 escaped inmates captured in Alabama
- UPDATE: Missing inmate captured in Water Valley area
- Escaped Alabama prisoner captured in West Virginia