HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — The mother of a man charged with killing an Alabama police officer says she doesn't believe her son is capable of committing murder.
Alma Jean Applebet told AL.com on Sunday that she didn't think her son would kill an officer.
She is the mother of LaJeromeny Brown, who is charged with capital murder in the fatal shooting of Huntsville officer Billy Fred Clardy III on Friday.
Police say the police officer was shot during a drug buy that had been set by law enforcement officials.
Authorities say Brown was arrested after a short foot chase after the shooting.
- Mother of shooting suspect denies son's involvement
- Investigators working to determine suspects involved in Tunica County shooting
- Suspect injured in officer-involved shooting in Horn Lake
- Mother: Alabama police beat black 17-year-old son
- Mother faces murder charges in slaying of 2 sons
- MBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Clarksdale
- Bond denied for man charged in stabbing death of his mother
- Ex-detective accused of being sexually involved with suspect
- Sheriff: Man arrested in domestic shooting that wounded son
- Man convicted of shooting son over wings while watching game