JACKSON, Ala. (AP) - Police in Jackson, Alabama, are investigating the death of an infant.
Police Chief Jerry Taylor says Jalesa Gaines of McIntosh has been charged with abuse of a corpse and giving a false name during a traffic stop.
WALA-TV reports officers found the baby boy's body in the trunk of a car during a traffic stop. Police had pulled Gaines over for an expired license plate Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities say Gaines has not said much about what happened to the baby, who Taylor says was several days old.
Taylor says the body has been sent to the state Department of Forensic Sciences lab in Mobile for an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
The investigation is continuing.
- Mother faces charge after dead baby found in car's trunk
- Couple charged with locking puppy in trunk while shopping
- Mother and daughter found dead in central Mississippi home
- Mother charged in death of boy found in hotel freezer
- 2 found dead, partially clothed in car in Mississippi
- Mom faces 2nd-degree murder charge in infant's hot car death
- 2 charged in slaying of man found dead at motel
- Alabama woman facing rape charge
- Alabama officer facing assault charge
- Mother charged in 4-year-old daughter's death