MADISON, Ala. (AP) — A mother and daughter survived after falling into a freezing Alabama lake after their dog ran onto it and fell through.
Madison Fire and Rescue Capt. Michael Sedlacek says the mother and daughter were outside with the dog when it ran onto the lake and fell through a thin sheet of ice.
Al.com reports the mother fell into the freezing water when she tried to save the dog. The girl tried to save her mother and also fell into the lake Wednesday night.
Huntsville Emergency Medical Services Inc. Chief Operations Officer Don Webster says the mother and daughter were taken to a hospital and treated for hypothermia. Officials say the dog didn't survive despite receiving CPR from emergency workers.
- Mother, daughter fell into freezing lake in Alabama
- Mother charged in 4-year-old daughter's death
- Alabama prepares to freeze, end insurance program
- Alabama man held in daughter's death
- Mother and daughter found dead in central Mississippi home
- Mom sues Alabama zoo where kangaroo bit daughter's ear
- Mississippi casino revenue fell 2 percent in 2017
- Mother: Alabama police beat black 17-year-old son
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- County supervisors freeze development over water complaints