GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi sheriff says a suspect in a violent crime has been killed in a shootout with narcotics officers.
Harrison County Sheriff Troy Peterson said 49-year-old Ernie Lizana Jr. fired gunshots at the officers early Monday as they arrived at a vacant home in Gulfport where the suspect was hiding. Peterson says the officers returned fire and shot Lizana several times, killing him.
News outlets report Lizana was wanted on aggravated assault charges after a woman was found shot in the throat Saturday. Police said the woman, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in New Orleans in serious condition.
Peterson said the investigation into Lizana's death has been turned over to the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation.
- Mississippi sheriff: Suspect dies in shootout with officers
- Mississippi police officer dies after 1-vehicle crash
- Officer shoots suspect at Mississippi gas station
- Police: Would-be robber dies after shootout with store clerk
- Another Mississippi inmate dies; no foul play suspected
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Suspect caught in killing of Mississippi officer at station
- Tuscaloosa officer dies, suspect arrested in Alabama shooting
- Sheriff: Deputy kills carjacking suspect
- Mississippi sheriff's dispatcher robbed while on duty