GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — Police in Mississippi say a teenage mother charged with killing her 3-month-old son is accused of fracturing his skull and leg.
The Biloxi Sun-Herald reports the investigation has revealed the child also had brain bleeding and severe hemorrhaging when he was admitted to a Gulfport hospital in September. Gulfport police say 17-year-old Yakira Yaffa Nicole Caffrey didn't offer a reasonable explanation of how he was injured. She's charged with second-degree murder. The newspaper reports investigators determined the infant had been abused, and a coroner ruled the death a homicide.
The outlet says Caffrey was unable to appear Wednesday at a preliminary hearing in Justice Court to determine if her case will go to a grand jury. Harrison County Prosecuting Attorney Herman Cox said a new hearing date will be set.
- Mississippi police: Teen mom fractured slain son's skull
- Son describes decapitating mom to Mississippi deputy
- Sons' autism diagnoses allows Mississippi mom to help others
- 2 more men arrested after Mississippi police officer slain
- Slain teen's family drops suit after seeing police video
- Mississippi father charged as 2-month-old has cracked skull
- Slain activist's family sees Mississippi Civil Rights Museum
- Memorial to honor slain Mississippi voting rights activist
- Hikers find human skull in northwest Alabama
- Sheriff: Mississippi mom shoots adult daughter's boyfriend