SLIDELL, La. (AP) — Louisiana State Police say a Mississippi man whose car apparently broke down on Interstate 10 was hit and killed when he tried to cross the three-lane highway on foot, at night, in the rain.
Senior Trooper Dustin Dwight said in a news release Monday that 45-year-old Sylvester Horton of Canton, Mississippi, was wearing dark clothing and was in the center lane of the westbound interstate in Slidell (sly-DELL) when he was hit about 8:30 p.m. Sunday.
Investigators found Horton's car on the shoulder about four-tenths of a mile (six-tenths of a kilometer) away.
The news release says it's extremely difficult for pedestrians to judge the speed of traffic on interstates, and people whose cars are disabled on the interstate system in Louisiana should call 911 or (asterisk)LSP ((asterisk)577).
- Mississippi man hit, killed, running across I-10 in rain
- Arkansas woman killed by hit-and-run on Mississippi highway
- Man killed in hit-and-run on highway in Jackson
- Police in Mississippi identify victim in fatal hit-and-run
- Man wanted in Georgia hit-and-run is held in Mississippi
- Man arrested in Mississippi carjacking, Alabama killing
- Police: Man fatally crashes while fleeing hit-and-run
- Man faces manslaughter charge in Alabama hit and run
- Officials identify Mississippi man killed in home invasion
- Man accused of killing neighbor found dead in Mississippi