PLAQUEMINE, La. (AP) — A Mississippi man has died after his truck ran off the road and underneath the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge in Louisiana.
Shortly before 7:30 a.m. Monday, Louisiana State Police began investigating a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 10 westbound at the Whiskey Bay exit in Iberville Parish.
WAFB-TV reports 50-year-old John Cloninger, of Pearl, died in the crash. Troopers say Cloninger was driving a 2001 Peterbilt tractor-trailer westbound on I-10. For reasons still under investigation, authorities say Cloninger ran off the road to the right and struck a concrete bridge rail. After hitting the railing, the truck fell to the ground underneath the bridge.
Cloninger, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Mississippi man dies after truck runs off Louisiana bridge
- Engaged Louisiana corporal dies in Mississippi crash
- Man dies after jump from bridge into south Mississippi creek
- Fugitive wanted in Mississippi arrested in Louisiana
- Tornado touches down in Mississippi, Louisiana
- Louisiana Catholic hospitals could add Mississippi hospital
- Mississippi officer resigns after indictment in Louisiana
- Mississippi teacher killed in Louisiana; 2 arrested
- Possible tornadoes strike parts of Mississippi, Louisiana
- 3 from Mississippi plead guilty in Louisiana man's death