MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a Mississippi man intentionally set his house on fire and killed his mother.
Lauderdale County sheriff's deputies arrested 53-year-old Michael Reese on Monday after he had been treated for burns at a Jackson hospital.
Reese is charged with capital murder and arson and jailed in Meridian without bail. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.
Chief Deputy Ward Calhoun tells local news outlets that 84-year-old Irma Jean Reese used a wheelchair and couldn't get out of the house on her own. Lauderdale County Coroner Clayton Cobler says she died of carbon monoxide poisoning during the fire last week.
The fire heavily damaged the Reese home in the Bailey community north of Meridian.
Calhoun didn't say why deputies believe Michael Reese killed his mother. He says an investigation continues.
- Mississippi man charged with setting fire, killing mother
- Murder charges: Mississippi Choctaw man beaten, set on fire
- Man arrested and charged with killing mom in Mississippi
- Mississippi man charged with killing wife in nursing home
- Fifth man charged with link to Mississippi officer's killing
- Jurors see video of Mississippi man charged with killing 8
- Lawyer: Mississippi girls killed mother in self-defense
- Hearing set for 14-year-old girl accused of killing mother
- Man arrested in Mississippi carjacking, Alabama killing
- Missouri man killed in Mississippi crash