JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi man has been charged after authorities identified a body found in a rural area.
Media outlets reported 44-year-old Cedric Taylor was arrested Thursday and charged with murder and being a convicted felon possessing a gun. He's jailed with bail set at $125,000. It's unclear if Taylor has a lawyer to speak for him.
Jackson police say Taylor killed 29-year-old Dewan Fortner, whose body was found Wednesday in woods behind an abandoned building near Bolton.
Fortner was reported missing Feb. 25. Police say they think the shooting followed a fight in a Jackson neighborhood.
Yvette Butler, Fortner's mother, tells WLBT-TV she showed Taylor a picture of Fortner when searching for her son, but Taylor said he didn't know Fortner.
- Mississippi man charged after authorities identify body
- Authorities identify body found in Mississippi creek
- Missing woman's body identified, husband's charges upgraded
- Missing Mississippi man's body found in lake
- Man's body found in Mississippi lake
- Mississippi man who was electrocuted is identified
- Missing Mississippi man identified as drowning victim
- Police chief identifies man whose body was found in vehicle
- Decomposed body found in car truck identified as missing man
- Body found in North Carolina identified as Alabama man, 54