VICKSBURG, Miss. (AP) — A central Mississippi man has been arrested after jumping into the Mississippi River while trying to evade police.
The Vicksburg Post reports 27-year-old Joseph Wesley Springs of Terry was taken into custody Wednesday. The Mississippi Department of Corrections issued a warrant for Springs on a probation violation.
Vicksburg police say they stopped an SUV he was riding in before dawn Wednesday, only to see him jump a fence, run into and out of a casino, and dive into the Mississippi.
Authorities continued searching, and Springs was seen running into a railroad tunnel about six hours later. He was taken to a hospital to treat a head injury and other complaints. Police say he hit his head jumping into the river.
The woman driving the SUV was arrested on misdemeanor warrants.
- Mississippi fugitive swims away, later caught on land
- Fugitive wanted in Mississippi arrested in Louisiana
- No swimming: Toxic bacteria afflicts Mississippi coast
- Oregon couple, fugitives for 18 years, found in Mississippi
- Suspect caught in killing of Mississippi officer at station
- Mississippi town seeks to nearly double its land area
- Police: Fugitive shoots self as marshals try to arrest him
- Man swimming with friends jumps off bridge into creek, dies
- Police: Hospital behavioral patient caught raping patient
- Plane performs emergency landing on Alabama interstate