GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A sheriff says a Mississippi man has been charged with felony child abuse after his 2-month-old baby was found to have a cracked skull.
The Sun Herald reports that 28-year-old Byron Allen Ellison was charged Monday and was being held at the Harrison County jail on a $100,000 bond.
Sheriff Troy Peterson said in a news release Tuesday that Ellison "confessed to abusing the child." It was not immediately clear whether Ellison is represented by an attorney.
Peterson says medical workers at Garden Park Medical Center in Gulfport found the infant had a skull fracture and bleeding in the brain. The baby was in critical condition and was flown to Oschner Hospital for Children in New Orleans.
- Mississippi father charged as 2-month-old has cracked skull
- Mississippi man charged with manslaughter in father's death
- Hikers find human skull in northwest Alabama
- Mississippi investigates shooting death of official's father
- Alabama man charged with killing his father
- Authorities: Hunter finds skull in remote area in Alabama
- Coroner: Father, son shot dead on Mississippi highway
- Father, son dead in gyrocopter crash in Mississippi
- Woman, father injured, gunman dead in Mississippi shooting
- Man charged in southwest Mississippi dogfighting operation