MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama middle-school teacher has pleaded guilty to having sex with a 17-year-old former student.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports that 37-year-old Candace McCray pleaded guilty late Thursday to engaging in a sex act with a student under the age of 19.
Until that plea agreement, she had been scheduled for trial Monday.
She was hired in 2014 to teach biology at Brewbaker Middle School in Montgomery.
Alabama's law against school employees having sex with students does not require that the student be attending the school where the adult works.
Court records show that McCray is to be sentenced Jan. 31 to 10 years in prison, but with a split allowing her just to serve two years on probation.
She also must register as a sex offender.
- Middle-school teacher guilty plea to sex with ex-student, 17
- Alabama teacher faces sex charge involving student
- Alabama prep school sued over teachers' sex with students
- Alabama teacher charged with sex abuse of student, 12
- Alabama teacher charged with having sex with student
- Ex-Alabama elementary teacher faces student sex charge
- Dothan HS teacher charged with having sex with student
- Students sent back to middle school over missing grades
- Montgomery officer paid for 18 months before guilty plea
- Guilty plea set for last defendant in prison bribery scheme