OVETT, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a man who jumped off a bridge into a creek in Mississippi has died.
The Jones County Sheriff's Department tells news outlets his body was recovered Sunday afternoon from the Tallahala Creek. The department says in a Facebook post that it had been called out for an accident and possible drowning at the Union Falls Bridge near Ovett.
County Search and Rescue Team leader Lance Chancellor tells WDAM-TV 21-year-old Damion Robine jumped off the bridge. Chancellor says Robine's friends had tried to swim and search but couldn't able to find him.
Robine's friends says they were having a good time swimming before he jumped and didn't resurface.
Chancellor says the sheriff's department has patrolled the area many times to try and prevent people from jumping off the bridge.
- Man swimming with friends jumps off bridge into creek, dies
- Man dies after jump from bridge into south Mississippi creek
- Alabama chase ends with suspect jumping off bridge
- No swimming: Toxic bacteria afflicts Mississippi coast
- 2 friends of missing Alabama man accused in his death
- Officials: Man found dead beneath lawnmower in small creek
- Body found under Alabama bridge
- Mississippi fugitive swims away, later caught on land
- Death sentence vacated for man who threw children off bridge
- Alabama man dies after being shot