MUSCLE SHOALS, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say an elderly man walked into an Alabama hospital and shot himself to death without saying a word to anyone.
Muscle Shoals Police Chief Clint Reck tells media outlets the incident occurred about 6:45 a.m. Sunday at Shoals Hospital.
Reck says surveillance video shows that a man walked in the front door of the hospital without speaking to anyone and entered an elevator. He says nurses then heard a gunshot.
Police identify the dead man as 79-year-old William Edgar Nichols, who lived near Leighton.
Reck says no one else was injured, and investigators aren't aware of any link between Nichols and the hospital.
- Man fatally shoots self in hospital elevator
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- Officer fatally shoots man in robbery at gas station store
- Police: Alabama man captured in Florida after fatal shooting
- Man sentenced to death in Alabama for teen's fatal shooting
- Tennessee pair arrested in fatal shooting of Alabama man
- Alabama man kills wife, kid before fatally shooting himself
- Officers at wrong address ID'd in fatal shooting of man
- Man, 18, charged in the fatal shooting of his brother
- Man sought in Mississippi fatal shooting arrested in Florida