OVETT, Miss. (AP) — A south Mississippi man is dead after he slipped away from friends trying to rescue him from a creek.
Jones County Search and Rescue Team leader Lance Chancellor tells WDAM-TV that 21-year-old Damion Robine jumped off the Union Falls Bridge and never resurfaced.
Joseph Patton says he swam out to try to rescue Robine, but couldn't drag him back to the surface of Tallahala Creek even though "he was still moving."
Michael Brewer says friends were swimming and Robine started "drinking a little bit." Brewer says friends asked Robine not to jump off the bridge, but he did so anyway, landing on his stomach.
Robine's body was recovered by divers about two hours after he drowned.
Chancellor says Jones County sheriff's deputies patrol the bridge to try to prevent jumping.
- Man dies after jump from bridge into south Mississippi creek
- Man swimming with friends jumps off bridge into creek, dies
- Alabama chase ends with suspect jumping off bridge
- Authorities identify body found in Mississippi creek
- Commissioners approve 163 Mississippi road, bridge projects
- UPDATE: South Mississippi escapee captured
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Tornado total for April 18 in Mississippi jumps to 43
- Man dies after being shot multiple times in Mississippi
- Man dies after being shot at Mississippi nightclub