MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a burglary suspect died after being apprehended by a police dog in Montgomery, Alabama.
A police statement says a say a canine unit responded to a report of a burglary in progress early Sunday, and the animal apprehended a man inside a home.
Officials haven't released details about what happened during the apprehension, but the statement says the man died later at a hospital.
Police said Monday an investigation will determine whether the man died from dog bites or something else. The dog is under quarantine at a city kennel, and its handler has been placed on administrative leave during a review.
The statement says a homeowner gave approval before the dog went inside the residence. Police say they haven't determined the identity of the dead man.
- Man dies after apprehension by police dog
- Man apprehended by police dog died from ruptured artery
- Police: Man shoots own dog instead of intended victim
- Police: Mississippi man shot in stomach during robbery dies
- Police: Man shot pregnant girlfriend; her baby died next day
- Woman attacked by dogs last month has died
- Mississippi police officer dies after 1-vehicle crash
- Alabama authorities: Motorcyclist dies while fleeing police
- Alabama man dies after being shot
- Alabama man dies in lawnmower accident