HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — A man told police that he pulled out a gun and accidentally shot himself in the hand when a man attempted to rob him.
Hattiesburg police spokesman Ryan Moore says witnesses told police that a man was approaching people and asking for money in a Walmart parking lot on Sunday.
The victim told police that he pulled out a gun and accidentally shot himself in the hand just after the man tried to rob him. Moore says the victim drove himself to a hospital, where he was treated and released.
News outlets report that a suspect, identified as 35-year-old Justin Niehoff was charged with robbery and was booked into the Forrest County Jail. It's unclear if he has a lawyer.
- Man charged with robbery after victim shoots himself
- 1 man charged in October robbery, shooting at gas station
- Officer fatally shoots man in robbery at gas station store
- Man charged in Kentucky bank robbery found in Alabama
- Accidental shooting victim's father sentenced
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- 3 charged with Pontotoc County armed robbery
- Police: Man shoots own dog instead of intended victim
- Man charged in the shooting death of another man
- Man charged in connection with shooting of teenager