GREENWOOD, Miss. (AP) — Officials are adding charges against a Mississippi Delta man they say was launching objects at people along a highway.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that 18-year-old Jumearo Williams is now charged with aggravated assault in addition to earlier malicious mischief charges.
A number of motorists this summer have reported that their vehicles were hit by flying objects or they were run off the road along U.S. 49 between Greenwood and Tchula (CHOO'-luh). Different drivers report being hit by or dodging a bottle, a rock and a bullet-like object.
Williams is jailed on $525,000 bail. It's unclear if he has a lawyer representing him.
Leflore County Sheriff Ricky Banks says he expects more arrests in the case. The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation and the Mississippi Highway Patrol are handling the inquiry.
- Man charged with launching objects at Mississippi drivers
- Man charged in southwest Mississippi dogfighting operation
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- Mississippi man charged with knowingly spreading HIV
- Mississippi man charged after authorities identify body
- Mississippi school district needs bus drivers
- Mississippi Gulf Coast city to launch new fireboat
- 4 new doctors launch careers in Mississippi city
- Caesars launching sports betting in New Jersey, Mississippi
- Alabama man charged in death of girlfriend in Mississippi