SAUCIER, Miss. (AP) — Court papers say a man accused of killing his child and his roommate in Mississippi was trying to protect himself during a fight between the men.
The Sun Herald cites an affidavit in a Wednesday report as saying 34-year-old Billy Roberts accidentally killed 2-year-old Chance Roberts when he shot 20-year-old David Garcia several times in self-defense. A bullet struck Roberts' son's chest.
A 911 call Saturday night sent Harrison County Sheriff's deputies to a mobile home near Saucier where they found Chance and Garcia dead.
Roberts told a sheriff's investigator that the brawl escalated from an argument over Garcia being accused of dropping Garcia's baby daughter.
Roberts is jailed on murder and manslaughter charges. It's unclear if he has a lawyer who could comment.
- Man accused of killing son, 2, roommate in self-defense
- Body found in yard; man charged with killing former roommate
- Alabama man gets life in roommate's slaying
- Alabama man charged in slaying of roommate
- Man charged in death of roommate he reported missing
- Police: Alabama college student stabbed, roommate in custody
- Sheriff: Man kills himself, his son, daughter and her fiancé
- Man killed, missed meeting his son born next day
- Lawyer: Mississippi girls killed mother in self-defense
- A Mississippi man is accused of shooting his 20-year-old son to death.