CANTON, Miss. (AP) — The Mississippi Highway Patrol is investigating a vehicle collision that killed three children and injured three others on Interstate 55.
News outlets report that a 1-year-old girl, 6-year-old boy and 8-year-old girl sitting in the back seat of a car were killed in the Madison County crash Saturday night.
A highway patrol official says the children were traveling in a Nissan Altima that was struck from behind by an 18-wheeler north of Canton.
The car crashed into a guardrail. A 6-month-old girl, along with two adults traveling in the front seat, survived the crash and were taken to the University of Mississippi Medical Center with injuries.
The driver of the semitrailer was not injured.
- MHP investigates deadly car crash involving two adults, 4 children
- MBI investigating deadly officer-involved shooting in Horn Lake
- UPDATE: Man accused of stealing MHP car captured during weekend
- Investigation begins into allegations of MHP cadet mistreatment
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- MHP says goodbye to Ford Crown Victoria
- 4 Mississippi adults charged with neglecting 5 children
- MBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Clarksdale
- 2 adults, 1 child killed in central Mississippi crash