JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - Motorists are encouraged to be aware of school bus loading zones as the new school year begins.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol has started a safety initiative called Operation Safe Transport of Pupils (STOP).
MHP Capt. John Poulos says troopers will place emphasis on school bus loading zones and conduct saturation patrols in school zones.
This is to combat speeding and careless driving.
Mississippi lawmakers passed Nathan’s Law in 2011 to protect school bus students.
The law outlines specific restrictions for motorists and the penalties for motorists who do not follow the law.
- MHP begins Operation STOP, promoting safety at school bus zones
- Investigation begins into allegations of MHP cadet mistreatment
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- MHP says goodbye to Ford Crown Victoria
- Mississippi trims zone aimed to stop spread of deer disease
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- UPDATE: Man accused of stealing MHP car captured during weekend
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP applauds trooper for rescue in Pike County