JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) – Troopers recorded zero holiday deaths on state and federal highways and interstates this Christmas enforcement period.
Troopers were out in full force during the enforcement period, which began on Friday and ended on Christmas Day at midnight.
In total, the Mississippi Highway Patrol issued 4,226 citations and 61 DUI arrests.
Troopers investigated 157 crashes, which included 40 injuries. No deaths were recorded.
“We attribute this to the high visibility of all available troopers and responsible decision-making by motorists traveling on the roadways,” said Captain Johnny Poulos.
Here is a breakdown for the WTVA viewing area:
Troop F (Lee, Itawamba, Pontotoc, Union, Prentiss, Tippah, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Benton) – 669 citations, 10 DUI arrests, 24 collisions, 7 injuries
Troop G (Chickasaw, Monroe, Calhoun, Webster, Clay, Oktibbeha, Lowndes, Noxubee, Winston, Choctaw) – 332 citations, 7 DUI arrests, 11 collisions, 4 injuries
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- MHP records 10 deaths during Thanksgiving period
- MHP reported three deaths during New Year's enforcement period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- Troopers begin Christmas travel enforcement period
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- State troopers prepare for July 4 holiday enforcement period
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- Alabama troopers investigated 22 deaths during Christmas, New Year's holiday travel period