JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA) - State troopers reported one death on Mississippi’s highways and interstates during the Memorial Day holiday period.
The death happened in Jackson County, which is on the Gulf Coast near Biloxi.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol confirmed an Ocean Springs woman died from injuries she sustained in a Monday night crash.
During the holiday enforcement period, which began on Friday, troopers issued 7,296 citations and investigated 148 crashes.
They also made 159 DUI arrests.
Here is a breakdown for much of north Mississippi:
Troop F – Benton, Tippah, Alcorn, Tishomingo, Prentiss, Union, Pontotoc, Lee and Itawamba counties
- 5 DUI arrests
- 3 collisions, 1 was alcohol-related
Troop G – Chickasaw, Monroe, Calhoun, Webster, Clay, Oktibbeha, Choctaw, Lowndes, Noxubee, Winston counties
- 3 DUI arrests
- 1 collision
During the 2018 Memorial Day enforcement period, troopers investigated one death and 156 crashes.
- MHP: 1 death reported during Memorial Day period
- MHP to begin Memorial Day enforcement period on Friday
- MHP: Zero deaths recorded during Christmas enforcement period
- Two traffic deaths recorded by MHP during July 4th period
- MHP to start New Year's enforcement period next week
- MHP investigates 3 deaths during Labor Day holiday
- Alabama troopers investigate 23 traffic deaths during holiday period
- Gunfire death rate increases in 7-year period in Alabama
- Investigation begins into allegations of MHP cadet mistreatment
- UPDATE: Man accused of stealing MHP car captured during weekend