BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) — A judge is setting bail for three men charged in the shooting death of a Mississippi woman who officials say walked in on a burglary.
The Daily Leader reports Brookhaven Municipal Judge Brad Boerner set $1 million bail for 19-year-old Jatavious Berry of Brookhaven and 24-year-old Justin Anderson of Natchez on Tuesday. He set bail at $2 million for 18-year-old Adrian Smith of Brookhaven, saying he's a higher risk to flee because he was arrested at the Jackson airport.
The three are accused of participating in the July 20 shooting of Zariah Newton.
A fourth wanted man, Shawan Allen, died in nearby Wesson in a shootout with police after a manhunt.
Boerner is assigning a public defender to each man and says preliminary hearings examining evidence will be scheduled later.
- Judge sets bail for 3 Mississippi men charged in shooting
- Men charged in Mississippi store shooting, held without bail
- 3 men charged with Mississippi weekend death
- Curtis Flowers seeks bail, end to charges
- Man accused of arson at Mississippi college free on bail
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- Men, boy charged in Mississippi after shot fired at deputies
- Illinois men charged with luring Mississippi teen from home
- Murder charges: Mississippi Choctaw man beaten, set on fire
- Mississippi man charged with setting fire, killing mother