PASCAGOULA, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi inmate was found hanging in his jail cell shortly after a head count at the Jackson County Adult Detention Center.
Sheriff Mike Ezell says a deputy found 35-year-old Robert Gene Danley, Jr. hanging in his jail cell Friday night.
Ezell, in a news release Saturday, said staff attempted to resuscitate him but were unsuccessful. Danley, a trusty at the jail, was pronounced dead at 7:20 p.m.
Pascagoula Police arrested Danley Nov. 12 on misdemeanor charges and was on probation with the Mississippi Department of Corrections for a prior conviction. However, his probation was revoked, and he was waiting to be transferred to a state prison.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigations and the Jackson County District Attorney's Office are assisting the sheriff's department with the investigation.
- Inmate found dead in South Mississippi jail
- Report: South Mississippi shooting suspect found dead
- 2 inmates escape Mississippi jail; 1 captured
- Inmate dies in a Mississippi jail, investigation underway
- Mississippi county settles case with inmate beaten in jail
- 2nd inmate death reported at Mississippi county jail
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Inmate found unresponsive in cell at Mississippi prison
- Alabama death row inmate found dead inside cell
- Alabama inmate who killed 2 found dead in prison infirmary