JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Another Mississippi prison inmate has died, this time after a fight.
Management & Training Corp. says 24-year-old Nija Syvallus Bonhomme died Monday at Wilkinson County Correctional Facility, a state prison run by the Utah-based company.
He's the eighth inmate to die in the custody of the state prison system this month.
Spokesman Issa Arnita says Bonhomme was found on the floor after the fight with another inmate in his cell. Arnita says medical personnel responded "immediately" after Bonhomme was found to the floor, but were unable to revive him.
Bonhomme was sentenced to 20 years in prison by a Pearl River County judge for armed robbery and residential burglary.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections is leading the investigation, and a cause of death awaits autopsy results.
- Inmate dies after fight in Mississippi prison
- Inmate, 57, dies in Mississippi prison
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Inmate with 4 convictions dies in Mississippi prison
- Inmate at privately-run Mississippi prison dies in hanging
- Coroner: Inmate dies, found hanging at a Mississippi prison
- Inmate dies at privately run prison in north Mississippi
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Officials: 2 inmates wounded in Alabama prison fight
- Inmates say East Mississippi prison is unsanitary, unhealthy