LEAKESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi corrections officials say an inmate serving a 30-year sentence for armed robbery has been pronounced dead at a prison hospital.
A state Department of Corrections news release says 57-year-old Eddie Shorty was found unconscious in his cell at the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville and was pronounced dead around 4:10 a.m. Wednesday.
News outlets report that Shorty shared a cell with another inmate and was sentenced in DeSoto County in 1999.
The cause and the manner of his death are pending an autopsy.
- Inmate, 57, dies in Mississippi prison
- Inmate dies after fight in Mississippi prison
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Inmate with 4 convictions dies in Mississippi prison
- Inmate at privately-run Mississippi prison dies in hanging
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Inmates say East Mississippi prison is unsanitary, unhealthy
- Mississippi prison officials say 5 inmate deaths unrelated
- 16 inmates die in Mississippi prison system in August
- Inmate found unresponsive in cell at Mississippi prison