MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich is giving the keynote address at an annual gathering of Alabama farmers.
The Alabama Farmers Federation is holding its 97th annual meeting Sunday and Monday in Montgomery.
Gingrich will address the group Monday night.
The Alabama Farmers Federation says that over 1,200 farmers and guests have registered for the meeting. It is one of the state's largest gatherings of farmers.
The organization on Sunday gave its service to agriculture award to Alabama Agriculture Commissioner John McMillan.
Federation President Jimmy Parnell said McMillan set a "new tone for the services that office would provide." He also praised McMillan's opposition to property tax increases.
- Gingrich to speak at Farmers Federation gathering
- NAACP gathers opinions on Meridian schools' court orders
- Mississippi governor bans most gatherings of 10 or more
- Birmingham bus service gets $3.6M federal grant
- Alabama lawyer confirmed as federal district judge
- Mine safety grants available from federal government
- Mississippi receiving federal grant for preschool programs
- Vicksburg suspends some bills for federal workers
- Mississippi couple face federal financial fraud charges
- Mississippi sues federal government over river flooding