CLINTON, Miss. (AP) - The Mississippi fire marshal says a house fire that killed seven people was accidental and it started with an electrical issue in the attic.
The fire happened early Saturday in the Jackson suburb of Clinton. A mother and her six children died.
Previous Article - Six children, mother died in overnight house fire near Jackson
A city spokesman says the father suffered from smoke inhalation and was injured trying to save the family.
Mike Chaney doubles as state fire marshal and insurance commissioner. Chaney says Monday that there were no working smoke alarms in the home.
He says investigators believe metal bars on the windows “played a small role in the deaths.”